Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Butterick 3625 Circa 2002 Floats to the top :)

When Stitcher's Guild started the Jacket a Month thread, I thought it would be fun reading. I had no idea it would lead to this! Me stitching two jackets in less than a month? Who is this person?! I do not have any visions of actually making one a month, but two by 2/1 is definately a sign that I may be emerging from this funk.
Here's what I did.

Butterick 3625 has been in my drawer of patterns since 2002. I am sure I thought it would be an easy addition to my work wardrobe and, like with so many of it's friends, never made it out of the envelope. I was actually getting ready to toss it when I had an *idea*.
Fabric: Black Wool coating left over from the SW San Diego Jacket that I made last year and gifted to Maryann when I lost my weight last year.
Pattern: Butterick See & Sew 3625, cut size 14 with no alterations. There are only 4 pieces: Sleeve, Fronts, Back and Hood.

Special touches: The hook and eye tape closure inspired by Robin at a Little Sewing On the Side, purchased at Sew Expo in Puyallup WA in Feb 2010. 

The fall leave embroidery from Martha Pullen's Mini-Collection  stitched on a little patch on the back, visible only when the hood is up, inspired by my favorite winter Woolrich sweater. I love the idea of a hidden surprise.

Modifications: I did the front a little differently only because of the tape. And that was it. I am probably going to add pockets as the lack of them is driving me crazy. And the sleeves are a little wide at the cuff, so I am considering using some of the leftover hook and eye to remedy that. Other than that, this is a good basic throw on topper that I can see myself making again.
Best Tools for the Job: Again, and I can't say this often enough, get thee an adjustable zipper foot. I couldn't have applied the tape in one shot without this. I also LOVE my edgestitch foot and 1/4" foot with guide. I used a combination of the two for edge and topstitching. They made the job go quickly with a great result.

Off to see what I can whip up next!

jodi

1 comment:

joan71 said...

Jodi, what a great jacket. I am lusting for your unusual hooks on tape. I think interesting closures do so much for a jacket.