Monday, November 15, 2010

IRL I am...

...a sister/friend, a wife, a mother and an employee. This past week was in that order.

Caution: This is not a fiber related post!!!

Sister/Friend: My lil sis arrived from Austin last Wednesday and I took days off to play with her and her best friend and our "adopted brother" Gary. We went to Pike Place Market one day, Whidbey Island the next, Snohomish's quaint shopping district on Saturday and then all too soon, Sunday and the airport. It was fun and sad. She's only been in the Austin area for 3 years. She hates it and didn't want to go back. She loves her husband and home, but hates the heat and humidity, misses her family and friends. She has had a difficult life at times, and it breaks my heart that she is so unhappy there. Even so, it was wonderful to see her, fun to do things I wouldn't normally do and I enjoyed spending time with Gary as well.

Wife: DH told me he missed me. He didn't join us for our play days as he isn't a social type and it's just as well. We probably had more fun with him NOT joining us :) But it hit me how dependent we are on each other for our well being. We enjoy each other. We, despite swearing this would NEVER be the case, NEED each other. It warmed me to hear him say this. I missed him too.

Mother: DD and DS are not the center of my world any more but I found myself talking about them quite a bit this past week. It wasn't the frenzied worried chatter of the past, just funny stories and status updates. Both texted me several times asking where I was and wishing us good times. The best status update, by the way, was DD calling to tell me that DBF's latest MRI shows no tumor regrowth. Funny, I feel like bursting into tears just typing this, the relief is so palpable.

Employee: Bottom of the list. I logged on Friday to perform a task, spent an hour and a half undoing a mess and reminded myself how lucky I am to have a job, how good I am at it and much I am ready to ditch it and live poor LOL! In reality, I will probably have to work for another 5 to 7 years since DH left early, but that's nothing really. What struck me the most this week is how much damage I did to myself and my relationships by letting this category sit at the top of the list for over three years, dominating the rest. I need to really keep on top of this and keep reinforcing the importance of down time.

I am home again today, alone with DH and puppy. I have some things that need to be done, I'll help him with a project, go to my doctors appointment, get groceries and head back to the Big House tomorrow.

I hope to get the outer shell of the Verona jacket cut out today. DD arrives NEXT Saturday and wants my help doing some alterations on a few things as well doing some sample sewing for a community service project she wants to start so I need to set up her sewing station. And I need to decide what to put on the loom next as Christmas really is right around the corner.

IRL I am also a stitcher and weaver. IRL I strive for happiness and balance.

jodi

No comments: